Peter Zieminski is managing a project on behalf of the KVRA to commemorate the centenary of the unveiling of our War Memorial with the help of several Committee members. Peter presented an outline of the project to the AGM which has six elements:
1. A commemorative event to mark the centenary of the unveiling.
2. The cleaning and restoration of the Memorial.
3. An additional names plaque for twenty-three men associated with Keston Parish who died and whose names do not appear on the Memorial.
4. The installation of an information board near the Memorial setting out its history.
The design of the information board is being undertaken by students from Ravens Wood School who presented their latest design at the AGM. Everyone at the meeting was very impressed with both their presentation and the information board design. They will carry on working on it over the next few weeks. Picture of the information board is attached
5. The installation of a ‘There But Not There’ silhouette near the Memorial and the information board.
6. Funding – The indicative costs associated with the project are just over £10,000 and we are delighted that a sponsor, who heard about the project, has already donated £750 to cover the cost of the ‘There But Not There’ silhouette. The Project Team are exploring ways to meet the costs which will include bidding for funding to: The Heritage Lottery Fund, The War Memorials Trust, and Bromley Council as well as holding fund raising events such as quiz nights and other sponsored activities as well as appeals through Crowd Funding and ‘My Donate’ web sites.
However, every penny helps and if you would like to sponsor one of the ‘forgotten’ names to be included on the additional plaque or any of the other work streams then please send your donation to the KVRA (c/o 85, Heathfield Road, BR2 6BB) or by electronic bank transfer marked ‘Memorial’ to our KVRA Account Number: 35321237 – Sort Code 09:01:29.
To find out more about the project or how you could get involved please click on the link below:
Keston Village War Memorial Project